Friday, January 4, 2008

I (heart) Turkey: A Turkey, Proscuitto, and Gorgonzola Sandwich

I made a turkey for New Year's Day. Yes, I realize New Year's is not a turkey holiday, and the next major food holiday isn't until Valentine's Day (which I don't think features turkey); I cooked a turkey just because Jeff had a hankering for this sandwich. It's that good.

We had a lot of leftover turkey after Thanksgiving, and in an attempt to make something that did not include cranberries or gravy, I made this sandwich. Jeff took it for lunch one day, and actually called me to tell me how delicious it was (and to ask me to buy another turkey at Costco).

You may think me silly for cooking an entire turkey just to make sandwiches, but after you taste this combination you'll be running to Costco too. With crispy prosciutto, tangy gorgonzola (Italian blue cheese), zesty arugula, and crunchy toasted rye bread, this is a gourmet sandwich that takes only minutes to make. Served with a cup of vegetable soup or a side salad, it makes a satisfying and simple dinner as well.

Since we're talking about sandwiches, I'll leave exact measurements up to you. You could also try this with leftover baked ham.

Turkey and Proscuitto Sandwich with Gorgonzola and Arugula
Print recipe only here.

Here's what I did:

Cut thick slices of rye bread, drizzle with olive oil, and place under the broiler for 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown.

Meanwhile, heat turkey in a skillet on the stove top for several minutes, until warmed through. Place proscuitto slices in a hot skillet for about 1 minute until slightly crispy.

Spread some mayonnaise on the toast, top with some crumbled gorgonzola, add a few leaves of fresh arugula or wild dandelion greens, then the warmed meat and prosciutto. Eat immediately.

Jeff suggests having it with a cold lager.


You might also like:

Broccoli Rabe and Sausage Sandwich with Sharp Provolone

Frittata Sandwich
Potato, Rosemary, and Gorgonzola Pizza
Butternut Squash Risotto with Blue Cheese and Walnuts

Save This Page on Del.icio.us