Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Eat Christmas Cookies, Season 3! A Food Blog(ga) Event

The holiday season is officially here. This I know for sure, not because of the blustery weather -- it's in the high 70s -- but because stores are packed with singing Santas and silver tinsel, I counted seven Christmas commercials during the Sunday Night football game, and I just returned from the store where I executed an impulsive shopping trip of epic proportions. I blame it on the Christmas music that was playing.

Currently in my pantry, I have 10 pounds each of all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, white sugar, and brown sugar. I've got fresh containers of baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, powdered buttermilk, and three cans of sweetened condensed milk. I've got every chip imaginable: semi-sweet, dark, milk, white, and peanut butter. Well, that is, except for cinnamon chips. I'm seriously starting to doubt their existence. Five-pound bags of nuts from pecans to cashews share a shelf with raisins, dates, apricots, cranberries, and candied ginger. My two-tier lazy Susan is weighted down with bottles of every flavor extract I could get my hands on, including coconut and maple walnut. Then there's molasses, peanut butter, maple syrup, and POM, just in case.

Oh, and I can't forget the decorations: confectioner's sugar, festive Christmas sprinkles, and jimmies (chocolate sprinkles for you non-Rhode Islanders). I even picked up a box of Santa Claus printed paper cups for fudge and truffles. And a box of candy canes. Not for baking, but for eating on the way home, since I was suffering from hypoglycemia after all that shopping.

Did I mention that I have an overwhelming desire to bake cookies? Dozens, even hundreds?

That's how I know the holiday season is officially here. Today I'm happy to announce Eat Christmas Cookies, Season 3! That's right. It's time to bake and swap your favorite Christmas cookies with us. Check out the amazing round-ups from Season 1 and Season 2, which include hundreds of spectacular Christmas cookies from around the world.

So start baking and send me any and all Christmas cookies; truffles, bark, and brownies count too. Just no pies, cakes, or muffins, please. Santa really prefers cookies.

Here's how you can participate:

Post about a Christmas cookie from today, November 17th through Sunday, December 20th at midnight PST. I will be posting your recipes as I receive them, so the earlier you send them in, the more likely someone else will see your recipe and try it for Christmas.


Within the post:
  • Please link to this page so others can participate.
  • Please link to the round-up page.
  • Santa would sure appreciate it if you'd include the cheerful Christmas Cookie Logo below. He might just leave extra goodies in your stocking, if you do. I'm just saying....



Email your entry to foodblogga [at] yahoo [dot] com, and put Christmas Cookies as the subject. In the e-mail please include:
  • Your preferred name
  • Where you live
  • Your blog’s name and URL
  • The URL of your entry
  • The name of the cookie
  • If you know how to re-size pictures, then please send along a 200 X 200 pixel pic of your cookies. If I don't see a re-sized pic attached, then I'll come get it at your blog.
  • Multiple entries are great, but please submit only new, current posts.
Don’t have a blog but would like to participate? No problem. Just email me your name, location, recipe, and brief description or story about the cookies. Please attach a 200 X 200 pixel picture to the email if you’d like it to accompany your recipe.

Like years past, there will be prizes, but Santa hasn't decided on them all yet. So stay tuned!

Questions? Comments? Cookies? Leave them below or Email me. Well, just leave the questions and the comments below. For the cookies, I'd recommend FedEx.