Monday, January 4, 2010

NPR's Kitchen Window's Most Viewed Stories of 2009

Happy New Year, everyone! Thank you for reading, commenting, cooking, (and eating!) with me in 2009. I look forward to sharing many more stories and many more of my (er, sometimes my mom's) recipes with you this year. I will also be introducing something totally new. Well, new for me anyway. I can't wait to show you soon.


Peanut Butter-Maple Bacon Fudge

I am also pleased to announce that two of my pieces, Bacon Gets Its Just Desserts and Grilled Cheese Gets An Update were the #1 and #2 most read pieces on NPR's Kitchen Window in 2009.



The Best Basic Grilled Cheese

This is a no-frills grilled cheese sandwich – the one that children love and that makes an adult feel like a kid again.
Makes 1 sandwich

2 slices favorite soft white bread
1 tablespoon real butter
2 slices American cheese

Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place slices, buttered side down, on a clean work surface. Place both slices of cheese on one slice of bread, slightly overlapping them. Top with the second slice of bread, buttered side up. Close the sandwich.

Place sandwich in a preheated nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes, or until the underside is golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt. Flip the sandwich with a spatula, pressing lightly to flatten. Cook 1 minute, or until it is golden brown and the cheese is completely melted. Slice in half on the diagonal. Eat it while it's hot.

Here's to a delicious 2010!