Monday, December 3, 2007

Sweet Potato Gnocchi and Home Sweet Home

The following are yesterday's verbatim forecasts from weather underground for two cities where I have lived. I still live in one. Can you guess which?

A. Freezing rain...sleet and periods of freezing drizzle...then rain...freezing rain...snow and freezing drizzle with possible sleet. Precipitation may be heavy at times. Snow and sleet accumulation around an inch. Lows in the mid 20s. Temperature rising into the mid 30s. Northeast winds around 5 mph...increasing to 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

B. Sunny. High 73. Light winds.

I'll give you a hint. It's not A.

How do you decide where to live? Is it the weather? The quality of the public schools? Or is it based on the proximity to her mother's house? (Or for him, the distance from her mother's house?) Jeff and I have sacrificed things to live here in San Diego -- primarily family and finances. It sometimes seems like the right choice, and other times, not.

Take this weekend for example. We have all heard ad nauseam how the housing market is tanking. However, when Jeff and I talked to some realtors in San Diego, we learned that there are "micro-markets which are exempt from the decline."

Beautiful. 3.5 million square miles of dropping real estate in the US, and Jeff and I picked the 40 square feet where prices are still going up.

Unlike Jeff and me, Peabody's house hunting days are over. She and her husband have a lovely new home, and to celebrate, Peabody is hosting a housewarming party. I'm bringing her homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Maple Cinnamon Sage Brown Butter. I know, that's the longest name ever, but it's not mine, it's Giada's.

When my parents were here for Thanksgiving, they gushed so much about Giada's sweet potato gnocchi that I surprised my dad and made them for his birthday. Honestly, they were delicious. Made with baked sweet potatoes and creamy fresh ricotta cheese, these gnocchi are pillowy and comforting. I especially love the way the fragrant, sweet, maple sauce clings to the grooves.

Here is Giada's recipe for Sweet Potato Gnocchi from her show Everyday Italian on the Food Network. For a copy of the recipe only, click here. I made the following changes:

  • I substituted Garnet yams for sweet potatoes.
  • I used pretty purple sage instead of green.
  • I used about half the butter Giada called for, but that's up to you.
  • I added toasted pecans on top because what's maple syrup without pecans?
See these posts for nice step-by-step photos on how to hand-make gnocchi.

Elise's guide for Potato Gnocchi
Coothink's guide for Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Gorgonzola
Bea's guide for Potato Gnocchi with Sauteed Mushrooms

I also like:
Simona's post and article about gnocchi
Katie's recipe for Pumpkin Gnocchi
Chow's recipe for Chestnut Gnocchi with Robiola Cheese Sauce
By the way, thank you Andrew of Spittoon for taking the time to add my Eat Christmas Cookies event to IMBB. I've put in a good word to Santa for you.

Save This Page on Del.icio.us