Thursday, July 24, 2008

Peach and Blueberry Galette and Facing Addiction

blueberry peach galette

This past weekend I hung out with some remarkably talented bloggers at the BlogHer conference in San Fransisco.

I was gone for two whole days, Saturday and Sunday. Monday, when I got home, I went to two supermarkets, Costco, and a farmers' market. When I pulled into my parking space and opened my back door, I realized that I needed a cart to bring all my groceries up. Suddenly it hit me, like a ton of bananas. I stood staring at my back seat and open trunk, every inch covered with bags. "Wow, that's a lot of food," I mumbled to myself. I had just gone shopping before we left, and it's only Jeff and me.

I couldn't move. Standing alone in my parking garage with the car doors open, I was ready to admit it: "My name is Susan, and I'm a food shopaholic."

Ignoring reality, I got all the groceries upstairs and consoled myself the only way I know how. I started cooking.

With two pounds of fresh fragrant yellow peaches and three pints of plump, juicy blueberries beckoning me, I called up my San Diego girlfriend, Miss C, to see if she wanted to hang out for a while. (She never says no.) You remember her, don't you? Our friendship had gotten off to a rocky start, but then my mom helped smooth things over between us. And now? We're real tight.

My girl Miss C. and I got right down to business and whipped up a remarkably easy and flavorful cornmeal dough from Cooking Light for a galette. I used coarse cornmeal so each bite has a wonderfully crunchy texture and rich corn flavor. It's light and flaky, not too rich and not too sweet -- the perfect vessel for a cinnamon and vanilla laced peach and blueberry fruit filling.

I thought I would bring it to my first FSA (Food Shopaholics Anonymous) meeting. So far, only Miss C. and I are signed up, but I am sure there are lots of you out there. You know who you are.

blueberry peach galette on checkered mat

Peach and Blueberry Galette

Serves 8
Print recipe only here.

Dough:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup coarse cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup fat-free buttermilk

Fruit Filling:
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
3 cups thinly sliced peaches (about 3 large)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
3 tablespoons cornstarch

1 egg white
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar

To make the dough, combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, and salt in a processor; pulse 2-3 times. Add butter and pulse 4-5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With the processor running, slowing pour the buttermilk through the chute, processing until the dough forms a ball. Remove the dough ball and adhere any remaining pieces of dough to it, then wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Refrigerate for 30-35 minutes.

Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

To make the fruit filling, combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and toss gently, making sure that the cornstarch is coating the fruit. (This will prevent too much juice from leaking out while the galette bakes.)

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a sheet of parchment paper. Starting at the center of the dough, roll out, forming a 14-15-inch wide circle. Place the dough with parchment paper on a baking sheet. Add the fruit mixture to the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the border over the filling, overlapping where necessary and pressing gently to adhere the folds.

Lightly whisk the egg white and milk in a small bowl. Brush dough with egg wash, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 1 hour, or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes. (Cutting it too quickly will cause the dough to crack). It's best served at room temperature or slightly warm. Optional garnishes include vanilla ice cream, a dollop of creme fraiche, or freshly whipped cream.

Speaking of berries, they are the featured theme for this month's Sugar High Friday hosted by me. Want to participate? Great! Send me a berry-licious dessert by August 3rd, and check out the details here.





You might also like:



Fresh Apricot and Cherry Cobbler with Buttermilk Biscuit Crust





Fresh Blackberry, Oatmeal, and Cashew Cake





Fresh Pineapple, Banana, and Pistachio Cake with Rum Icing





Here are more stone fruit and berry recipes:

Save This Page on Del.icio.us