Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Making Cranberry, Banana, and Honey Smoothies In My New Blender

cranberry smoothie

My blender broke the other morning as I was making a smoothie, and I couldn't be happier.

I bought the Black and Decker model last fall for $60 in part because it had an "ice crusher" button, which, in reality, merely "chipped" the ice. So for the last year, I have been drinking rather clumpy smoothies.

As my eyes glazed over the 20 or so blenders available at a local Walmart, I resisted my usual decision making process of reading every word on every single box and simple went with a GE model since I currently like my GE stove. And whadda ya know -- it's wonderful!

Here's what I like about this GE Digital Blender:
  1. It's lightweight and easy to clean.
  2. It has a button just for drinks. You hit it, and the blender does its thing for 50 seconds, slowing down and speeding up, until it creates the most frothy, luscious smoothie you've ever seen. And it positively disintegrates the ice, even though it doesn't have an ice crusher feature.
  3. It has a 600 power motor, which means it should be more durable.
Since I drink smoothies year round, I like to experiment with seasonal flavors. My current favorite is a Cranberry, Banana, and Honey Smoothie. Cranberries are a true super food. 1/4 cup of fresh cranberries contains only about 12 calories. Yet, they're high in vitamin C and fiber and contain health-promoting antioxidants and other phytonutrients that may help protect against heart disease and cancer.

This Cranberry, Banana, and Honey Smoothie strikes just the right balance between tart and sweet and is the pick-me-up you need on a sluggish morning. Made with soy milk or skim milk, it's also a great way to boost your calcium intake without adding lots of fat and calories.

I loved my new blender so much that I bought one for my mom who bought one for my brother. Then my mom's next door neighbor find out about it and bought one. Now, that I think of it, you'd better hurry up and buy one yourself before they're all gone.

Cranberry, Banana, and Honey Smoothie
Makes 1 smoothie
Print recipe only here.

1 cup vanilla soy milk or skim milk
1/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 banana
1-2 teaspoons honey
3 tablespoons soy protein powder, optional
1/4 cup ice cubes, optional

Place all ingredients in a blender; blend on high for 15 seconds, or until thick and frothy. If you like it thinner, then simply add a little bit of water.

You might also like these healthy breakfasts:

Creamsicle Power Smoothie





Ginger-y Cranberry Walnut Scones (Heart Healthy & Low Fat!)





Breakfast Quinoa with Dried Cherries, Raisins, and Pecans




I'm sending my pretty pink antioxidant-rich smoothie to Beantown Baker for her event, The Power of Pink, which is designed to promote awareness of breast cancer and to highlight October as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Sadly, it seems most of us, know someone who has breast cancer or have lost someone to the disease. This event is just one more way to remind us all of the importance of regular exams and early detection.

Save This Page on Del.icio.us