Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Delightful Recipe for Orange Delight Cookies

orange delight cookies 4

Delight your friends and family with a batch of frosted orange delight cookies from Anita Chu's Field Guide to Cookies. I have made several of Anita's cookies, and these are by far my favorite: they're moist, light, and refreshingly tangy, which makes them the perfect spring and summer cookie.

As many of you already know, I'm currently writing A Field Guide to Sandwiches, which will part of the same popular series for which Anita has written. I want to send a BIG thank you to everyone who has so kindly wished me well. You always brighten my days. Also several people have emailed me asking if I'll need recipe testers. Yup! I sure will. I'll post an announcement for it when the time rolls around, so you can test (and eat) some delicious sandwiches if you'd like.

In the meantime, eat your cookies.

orange delight cookies 1

Orange Delight Cookies
Makes approximately 30 cookies
Print recipe only here.

(NOTE: The recipe calls for a stand mixer. If like me you don't have one, then a hand mixer works just fine.)

Cookies:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup softened unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons orange zest
1/2 cup orange juice

Orange frosting:
2 1/2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 1/2-2 tablespoons orange juice (I used closer to 2 1/2 tablespoons)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.

In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and orange zest and mix until combined. Add flour mixture and orange juice in three additions, alternation between the flour mixture and the juice.

Drop tablespoons of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet at least 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on wire racks for at least 30 minutes before frosting.

For the frosting: In a stand miner, cream butter and sugar at medium speed for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add orange zest and juice, and mix until smooth. Frost cooled cookies using using a mini rubber spatula (or as I did, my index finger).

You might also like these spring and summer time desserts:

Coconut-Lime Rice Pudding with Mangoes and Cashews





Strawberry-Rhubarb Sponge Pudding





Mini Custards with Limoncello-Spiked Raspberry Sauce





Here are more citrus spiked cookies:
Limoncello Glazed Ricotta Drops at My Gourmet Connection
Meyer Lemon Cookies at Canela and Comino
Lemon Lime Meltaway Cookies at Appoggiatura
Candied Orange Sugar Cookies at Technicolor Kitchen
Chocolate Orange Cookies at Lisa's Kitchen