Tuesday, June 9, 2009

You Don't Ignore a Craving for Thai Pineapple Fried Rice

thai pineapple fried rice 3

Some blog posts are well thought out and take hours to prepare, while others just write themselves. Then there are the posts that result from cravings, which happened to me yesterday. I was leaving a comment on T. W.'s site, Culinary Types, where he had posted a mighty fine chicken fried rice recipe. I mentioned that I hadn't made fried rice in a long time and that I'd really love some pineapple fried rice.

I woke up at 5:30 am this morning, and before I even thought of coffee, I thought of fried rice. I knew I wouldn't make it to the end of the day without it. So by 7 am -- with a good coffee buzz going -- I was cooking white rice to chill for tonight's dinner. By 5 pm my Thai Pineapple Fried Rice was cooked and photographed to post tonight.

Though I'm not eating it for another hour or so, I had to sneak a couple spoonfuls during the photo session. (Come on, you do it too.) I was so pleased: the flavors of sweet pineapple, spicy ginger, and salty cashews mingle deliciously. I have no doubt that my fried rice craving will be satisfied tonight.

thai pineapple fried rice 1

Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
Serves 4
Print recipe only here.

2 cups leftover cooked white rice
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
3 scallions, thinly sliced (reserve some of the green part for garnish)
1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
1 1/2-2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 small red or green chili (the more the seeds the hotter the flavor)
1 cup diced pineapple, preferably fresh
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup cashews (salted or unsalted)
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil, optional

In a wok or a large skillet over high heat, warm 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil. Add the scallions, red bell pepper, ginger, and chili. Saute 1-2 minutes, or until lightly sizzling and fragrant.

Add cooked rice, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes. Add pineapple, soy sauce, and cashews; stir until well coated and heated through, about 2-3 minutes.

Sprinkle with the scallion greens, and, if desired, drizzle with sesame oil. Serve immediately.

You might also like:


Asian Noodle Salad with Tofu and Mango




Shrimp, Pineapple, and Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf Salad




Gingery Sauteed Tat Soi with Tofu Steaks





Craving more fried rice? Try these:

Thai Pineapple Fried Rice from Kitchen Snippets
Pineapple Fried Rice and Shrimp Fried Rice from Simply Recipes
Prawn Fried Rice from The Perfect Pantry
Kimchi Fried Rice from 80 Breakfasts