Thursday, October 29, 2009

A DeliciousTurkey Burger Recipe with Apples, Gruyere, and Sage Mayo That Changed My Life

turkey burger with apples, Gruyere, and sage mayo


Do you regularly cook foods for people in your family that you yourself don't eat? I do. Turkey burgers.

I just don't get it. Jeff was raised on good old fashioned beef patties. Yet, given the choice today, he invariably chooses turkey over beef. I, in contrast, am a 100% grass-fed beef kind of gal. I prefer beef's tender texture and rich flavor. With the right beef, a burger is delicious even without condiments. (Not that I'm suggesting you do that.)

So when we have burgers, I usually make Jeff a turkey burger and me a hamburger. The last turkey burger I made for him, I topped with sauteed apples, Gruyere cheese, and sage mayo.

After the first bite, he said, "Oh, God, this is good."

I nodded, smiled, and took a big bite out of my hamburger. He took another bite. "Sue, seriously, you've gotta taste this turkey burger. It's awesome."

"But, I don't like turk--"

"Just one bite. Come on."

I took a small bite. It was a revelation! I liked it. I took a larger bite. I loved it! The warm, tart apples, sweet, salty Gruyere, and creamy sage mayo made this turkey burger seem, well, not like a turkey burger. I took a bigger bite.

"Um, how much of my turkey burger are you gonna eat, hon?" Jeff asked me.

I slid the plate with my hamburger towards him, smiled, and took another bite of his turkey burger.

turkey burger with apples, Gruyere, and sage mayo

Delicious Turkey Burger with Apples, Gruyere, and Sage Mayo
Makes 2 burgers.
Print recipe only here.

I highly recommend washing down these turkey burgers with a cold, strong beer, such as Guinness or a good Ocktoberfest.

Sage Mayo:
2 tablespoons mayo
2 teaspoons stone ground or spicy mustard
3-4 small sage leaves, minced

Burgers:
10-12 ounces lean ground turkey
a generous amount of salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 small tart apple, thinly sliced, such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
2 ciabatta rolls, or other rolls of your choice


1. In a small bowl, stir all ingredients for sage mayo; set aside.

2. Place turkey in a bowl. Season with several shakes of salt and black pepper. Mix in Dijon. Form two equal sized burgers. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add burgers. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, until browned on the outside and cooked all the way through.

3. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, warm remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add onions. Saute 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add apples. Saute 3-5 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender. Season with salt and black pepper. Remove from heat.

4. Once burgers are almost done, top each with 1 ounce of cheese. To assemble burgers, spread half the sage mayo on the inside of a roll. Place burger on the bottom half of the roll, and top with half the onion-apple mixture. Close the sandwich. Repeat. Serve hot.

Here are more sandwich and burger recipes from Food Blogga you might enjoy:
Pork Tenderloin Sandwich
Italian Chicken Cutlet Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe (Rapini) and Provolone
Grilled Lamb Sandwich
The Southwest Hamburger

Now that I like them, here are more delicious turkey burger recipes I'd like to try:
Thai Peanut Turkey Burgers recipe at Cara's Cravings
Gena's Turkey Burgers recipe at Slashfood
Spicy Turkey Burger recipe at Blue Kitchen
Crunchy Taco Turkey Burger recipe at Hugging the Coast
Grilled Middle Eastern Turkey Burgers with Yogurt Sauce recipe at Kalyn's Kitchen
Turkey Burger Stuffed with Crispy Bacon and Caraway Havarti recipe at What We're Eating